How to Lighten Age Spots Naturally
When you get to a certain age you may notice dark spots appearing on your face, arms, shoulders and hands. These are called age spots or liver spots. They don’t require medical treatment but they can be unsightly. If you have them, you may want to know how to lighten age spots.
Age spots are caused by melanin hyperpigmentation. Melanin is the dark pigment that causes your skin to tan in summer. Your skin produces extra melanin when exposed to the sun to protect it from the sun’s damaging rays.
If the melanin is concentrated in one area, freckles or age spots appear. A tan is a nice thing to have; age spots, on the other hand, are less desirable. So, what should you do to lighten age spots?
How to Lighten Age Spots – 5 Quick Tips
If you are like me, you won’t relish the idea of using harsh chemicals to lighten your skin. Besides, skin lightening chemicals can have harmful side effects. Thankfully, you can lighten age spots the natural way. Here’s how:
1. Lemon Juice. Lemon juice is acidic and is used to exfoliate dead skin and lighten the appearance of freckles and age spots. Gently rub a cut lemon and half a teaspoon of sugar over the spots for a few minutes. Do this at least once a week until the dark areas fade. You can also apply a slice of lemon on the dark area for 10 to 15 minutes. Repeat once or twice a week to lighten age spots.
2. Honey and Yogurt. Honey and yogurt together form a natural bleach that can lighten age spots. Mix a teaspoon of raw honey to plain yogurt and apply directly to your liver spots. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes before rinsing off with cool water. Repeat daily for a few weeks until you see results.
3. Castor Oil. Castor oil is a traditional skin treatment to lighten skin. It also helps prevent wrinkles and skin aging. Simply apply a light coating of castor oil on the dark spots several times a day to lighten age spots.
4. Aloe Vera. For best results, use aloe vera gel from the leaves of a living plant. Apply the gel on your age spots once or twice a day. Aloe vera removes dead skin cells, promotes the growth of new skin, and will lighten age spots and freckles. If you can’t find an aloe vera plant, store-bought aloe vera gel will do.
5. Extrapone Nutgrass. Extracts from nutgrass root (botanical name cyperus rotundus) can effectively lighten dark skin and age spots, according to recent research. Nutgrass grows in the wild in India and other Asian countries. Extrapone Nutgrass is a natural product added to natural skin lightening creams. It inhibits the production of melanin and has anti-aging properties for the skin. You’ll like that Extrapone Nutgrass has no harmful side effects, in fact it has shown to soothe the skin.
Lighten Age Spots With Natural Products
No doubt you’re reading this article because you know that skin lightening chemicals can be bad for you. You’re absolutely right. In fact, hydroquinone used to be the star ingredient in many skin lightening creams but is now banned in some countries because of its harmful side effects.
Today there are many skin lightening creams and lotions containing natural products that are absolutely safe, effective and have no harmful side effects, such as Xtend-Life’s Whitening Cream, which I personally recommend. Look for these products if you want to lighten age spots. Not only will they make your skin lighter, but your skin will also look younger. What could be better than that?