How to Get Rid of Age Spots – 13 Fabulous Tips Revealed
Let’s face it, getting older is not something that most people are altogether happy about, but alas, it is an unavoidable part of life.
As we get older we begin to notice those tell tale signs of aging and, while there are some things we do need to accept, there are also many that can be prevented and even treated in order to help us grow old gracefully.
One common skin condition that often begins to develop as we get older is brown spots on our skin. The great news is that it is possible to get rid of age spots.
It is a common misconception that age spots are a sign of aging. They are, in fact, a result of years of over exposure to the sun and, in light of this, it makes good sense that the best way to deal with age spots is to minimize the amount of sun damage we expose our skin to.
But, hindsight is a wonderful thing and although sun protection will not get rid of age spots it will stop them from getting darker and prevent new more from forming.
If age spots have appeared on your skin, try some of these great ways to help reduce the appearance of these spots.
13 Tips to Get Rid of Age Spots
1. Topical Creams and Ointments: There are a number of over-the-counter creams and ointments available from your drug store and several other prescription ones that can eliminate the appearance of age spots. While there are many different brands on the market they all basically work by bleaching or lightening the area of the skin that you apply them to. If you want to try any of these creams, be sure to follow the instructions carefully to avoid skin irritation. You will also need to be aware of the fact that they will leave your skin more susceptible to sun damage and so sun protection is crucial.
2. Laser Treatment: Laser treatment is a popular and effective way to get rid of age spots. To totally eliminate these spots through laser treatment, several sessions may be required and therefore the cost of this kind of treatment can be quite high. Also, be sure to research the possible side-effects.
3. Microdermabrasion: Many people have found microdermabrasion effective in fading, and in some cases, this treatment can even get rid of age spots completely. During this process the skin is blasted with micro crystals, which gently wears away the melanin clumps responsible for the appearance of age spots. Generally 6 to 12 sessions of microdermabrasion is required to eradicate small age spots and sometimes maintenance sessions may be recommended. Microdermabrasion, while cheaper than laser treatment, can still be quite expensive when multiple sessions are needed.
4. Retin-A: Medical research and trials have found that Retin-A is very effective in treating age spots as it works to stimulate cell renewal. There are a range of Retin-A products available and, since many experts feel that this product should be used in conjunction with other treatments, it is strongly advisable to discuss this form of treatment with a dermatologist before spending money on expensive Retin-A creams.
5. Vinegar: Vinegar is a very effective, cheap and readily available natural way to get rid of age spots. Because vinegar contains acidic acid, it helps to lighten the areas of the skin that it is applied. For best results mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar and onion juice and apply to the age spot daily with a cotton bud. It will take up to 3 weeks for age spots to fade but this method can be just as effective as over-the-counter skin bleaching creams.
6. Lemon Juice: The juice of a lemon will safely and gently peel off the top layer of the skin and help remove or lighten age spots. This is mainly due to its acidic properties. You will need to apply the juice to the age spot daily for a few weeks in order to notice the results and be sure to continually apply sun block as the skin will be more prone to sun damage.
7. Aloe Vera: This plant is a must have in any garden as it is highly effective in treating a vast array of skin problems, including age spots, as it encourages the growth of new skin cells. Simply cut a piece of the Aloe Vera plant, squeeze out some of the gel and apply it to the age spot twice a day, leaving it on for at least 45 minutes. This treatment takes a little longer to get rid of age spots but you should notice results in about a month.
8. Horseradish Root: This method may seem a little strange to any of you who are not experienced with natural home remedies for age spots but it is a very popular and effective way to treat age spots. Grate about a tablespoon of horseradish and add some lemon juice and apple cider vinegar. Transfer this mixture into a handkerchief or a piece of cheesecloth and rub it onto the spot. This will act as a gentle exfoliator on the skin and when combined with the acidic properties of the lemon juice and vinegar it will dramatically decrease the appearance of age spots with 2-3 weeks.
9. Castor Oil: Castor oil has excellent healing properties for the body, both internally and externally, and many people have used it to get rid of age spots. All you need to do is rub a small amount on the age spot each night and with continual use the age spot will lighten and eventually disappear naturally.
10. Honey and Yoghurt: When honey and yoghurt is mixed together and applied to the skin it acts as a natural skin bleach that will fade age spots. To use this method all you need to do is use equal parts of honey and plain yoghurt and rub on the spot once a day. Allow it to dry on the skin and wash off after about 30 minutes. The age spot should begin to fade after a week or two.
11. Buttermilk: This method of treating age spots has been around for a long time and this is mainly due to the fact that it works. Because buttermilk contains lactic acid it will help to gently exfoliate the skin and, when used continually, the age spots should gradually lighten until they have disappeared completely.
12. Vitamin E Oil: Because it is an antioxidant, Vitamin E oil can help neutralise free radicals in the body that are responsible for skin damage. Using this oil on the skin after it has been exposed to the sun is a very effective way to stop age spots forming and prevent existing age spots from getting darker.
13. Natural Skin Creams: Last, but definitely not least are natural skin care products. They can be highly effective in stopping aging, getting your skin to look younger, and reducing and preventing age spots. Just make sure you go for the products that are free from chemicals and that use high-quality ingredients. I personally use products from Xtend-Life, but if you’ve been reading this blog for a while, you already know that
As you can see, there are a lot of different ways to get rid of brown spots. Now the ball’s in your hands. Try one of the above tips for a few weeks to a month and see if it works. If not, simply move on.
And always remember to listen to your body. It knows best!