5 Essential Oils for Stretch Marks That You Have to Know About
Stretch marks, like other scars, are not exactly something people like to show off. But what makes them worse is that they often are very visible and cover a wide area of your skin. These discolored dark lines usually appear on the abdomen, thighs, breasts and buttocks.
These days you have the option to have them minimized through laser removal, which I don’t recommend. You can also use a chemical product to get rid of stretch marks. Those come with their own sets of side effects and adverse reactions though.
But if you don’t care for expensive laser treatments or harsh chemical products with unpronounceable names, you may want to use essential oils for stretch marks to remove them the natural way.
Essential oils distilled from plants and flowers have been used for thousands of years for their natural healing properties. After they’ve been added to a carrier oil they can be applied on affected areas to treat scars and stretch marks.
5 Essential Oils for Stretch Marks
Essential oils for stretch marks are tried and tested natural products that can minimize and hide, if not erase unsightly marks. Here are five of nature’s best:
1. Rosehip Oil. This amazing essential oil is extracted from Chilean rose seeds and is the only vegetable oil that naturally contains Vitamin. A. It promotes skin cell regeneration and collagen production. Rosehip oil also contains Vitamin E which moisturizes the skin and keeps it healthy and radiant. This essential oil reduces the appearance of skin imperfections including stretch marks and wrinkles.
2. Lavender. In aromatherapy, lavender essential oil is used to treat insomnia, restlessness, anxiety and depression. It promotes cell regeneration and is used to prevent and minimize stretch marks caused by pregnancy. Lavender oil can be mixed with a carrier such as jojoba oil and applied on areas where stretch marks commonly appear to prevent their appearance.
3. Neroli. Like lavender, neroli essential oil is popular for its therapeutic properties and incredible fragrance. This essential oil is extracted from the blossoms of the bitter orange tree. Neroli, also known as “orange blossom”, rejuvenates and regenerates the skin. Neroli helps prevent scarring and stretch marks.
4. Helichrysum. Many people consider helichrysum the best essential oil for stretch marks. Extracted from an evergreen herb, this essential oil can quickly penetrate into the cell membrane. It encourages cell regeneration, nourishes the skin, and improves its elasticity. Helichrysum can prevent stretch marks from developing. Existing stretch marks will start to fade within 3 months when treated with helichrysum.
5. Patchouli. On the skin, patchouli essential oil promotes faster healing and prevents ugly scarring. It promotes tissue regeneration and stimulates the growth of skin cells. Patchouli also helps moisturize skin and is excellent for the treatment of stretch marks.
These five essential oils for stretch marks will help to minimize unsightly marks. Because essential oils are very powerful, they should not be applied directly on your skin but must be combined with carrier oils such as almond oil, olive oil, jojoba oil and the like. Essential oils for stretch marks can also be mixed with a cream such as shea or cocoa butter.